Skip to main content

Circle Skirt Math Fails | Betty Dress

I've had this pink lace for absolutely yonks. My Nan gave it to me (was a gift from someone else, I think) and it's just sat around doing nothing since then. It has been one of those fabrics which has just stumped me - it's pretty, but it's also crazily scratchy which makes me really not want to use it for clothes, and I really don't need any more cushions at this point.
So here's some photos of me using it as an overlay on this cute dress.


The purple's a broadcloth which I bought from Spotlight on the Boxing Day sale in 2015. Turns out, I love working with broadcloth and would recommend it to a beginner sewer. You can't see holes from pins and it irons easily.

The pattern is Sew Over It's Betty dress. The modification I wanted to make was to not have a full circle skirt, but a 3/4 instead; since I'd like to wear this dress to work, full skirts are a little too much for me, but I still like the retro style of a fuller skirt. Also because my fabric was only 112cm x 200cm, I didn't think I'd be able to get a full circle skirt out of it.
I'd drafted a 3/4 circle skirt using Miss Make's Tutorial, and did it wrong. It's a good tutorial, I am just terrible at maths. So I recruited my housemates for help. One created a spreadsheet for me to use, and I drafted another 3/4 and a 1/2 circle skirts for good measure. And got it wrong. My housemates were re-recruited, and I finally have a working pattern. Which I will use later. And maybe write a tutorial on. Would you be interested in that? Let me know below!

Catch you next time for a little bit of my stash that I'd "accidentally on purpose" left at my parent's place...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: No Navi!

It's been a while...  Life's been pretty hectic around here, finally 3/4 way through my prac, so hopefully I can get more pattern making / stitching sometime...  For now, here's a small pattern inspired by this demotivational poster:

(As always, click for full view)

No Navi!
My No Navi! Pattern!
Until next time, -C

23 before 23: 6 month update!

Back in August I posted about 23 things that I wanted to achieve before I hit 23 next year (read about it here). Since we're at the 6 month mark, I thought an update was in store!



Writing this post and reading over my list I'm realising how much I've got to achieve - school holidays now, time to get busy! So far I've achieved...

12. Spend a day at the beach
Check! Was a gorgeous day and both myself and my boyfriend came back without being completely roasted. Considering how pale we both are, that was a surprise.



19. Find a signature makeup look
It only occurred to me the other day that I'd done this - I <3 my winged liner and bright lip.

20. Read 2 "classic" novels
Done and done!
Clearly I've gotten lazy with my book reviewing, haha. I've since read The Great Gatsby, Little Women and am currently marathoning my way through Anna Karenina.

I've noticed it just seems like I'm not a Jane Austen fan but have enjoyed all of the others that I've re…

Pichu Cross Stitch

My first cross stitch creation, created with KG-Chart LE.  It's a Pichu (from Pokemon), and I'm hoping to continue with this Pokemon theme through other cross stitches.  If I get around to this, I'll post a picture when I'm done =)
Size : 15.6cm x 22.67cm Colours Used (DMC) : 310   (black) 973   (yellow) 3832 (pink)
To save, left click on the image, that'll bring up the full sized picture, right click on it then and select "save picture as".