Skip to main content

Guest Post:The Perfect Drink for a Long Day

Hey there! Today we have a guest post from SkA:nA, all taking care of yourself, which is fantastic.  I haven't actually had a chance to try these recipes yet (complements of the weather I haven't been able to leave the house safely since Thursday), but as soon as I do I'll share some photos!  See you Friday! -Tini


As women, we have a lot going on in our lives. For you, it might be the combination of working and taking care of kids that has you at the end of your rope. It might be going to school and juggling a full-time job that is sending you off the deep end. Whatever the case may be, we all need to take some time for ourselves. Nothing is more relaxing and fulfilling than an exfoliation followed by a hot shower and some fruit infused water. Here’s a simple recipe to create the luxurious spa feeling right at home.

DIY Body Scrub: Body scrub is actually a synch to make and has numerous benefits for your skin. It exfoliates dead dry skin cells and nourishes at the same time. You will need the following:

            -Lavander Essential Oil
            -Cane Sugar
            -Almond Oil
            -Mason Jar or other storage container

Mix approximately 1 cup of sugar with about ¼ cup of oil. You may need to add more or less sugar depending on the consistency. You want the mixture to ‘wet’ but not soupy. Next, add a few drops of essential oil. Mix thoroughly. Store in your mason jar! You can store this body scrub for up to a week and half but I think its best used within the first day or two of making it!

DIY Infused Water: Fruit infused waters also serve a dual purpose; they hydrate and contain multiple vitamins. Here at SkA:nA, the spa in upstate New York that I work at, we have a variety of these fruit and spice infused waters including the recipe of how to make them at home. My personal favorite being the Apple, Pomegranate and Rosemary water.

Ingredients
-       1 Gallon Water (3.7L)
-       10 apples, sliced
-       15 pomegranates, seeds only- muddled
-       ½ cup chopped rosemary
-       1 apple, sliced 1/8 inch (1.25cm)
-       2 lemons, juiced in water for cylinder
-       20 pomegranate seeds – for garnish

Directions: combine apple slices and muddled pomegranate seeds with the rosemary and water. Allow this mixture to cold steep for about 6 hours. Next, use a fine mesh strainer to separate the apples and pomegranate and the water. Fill a pitcher with the strained apple pomegranate rosemary water and garnish with pomegranate seeds, thin apple slices, and a couple sprigs of rosemary.

This may seem like a lot of work, bit it lasts for a couple of days, tastes great does wonders for your body.

Create the Spa at Home: Once you have made your body scrub and fruit infused water (or just grabbed a glass of wine) you are ready to create an ultimate spa experience. All you need to do is make sure you have some time alone time to set aside. This might be early in the morning, during naptime or late at night. Whenever it may be, allow enough time to relax and enjoy! Take your body scrub; apply gently to any area of the body, rubbing in small circular motions. Take a nice hot shower to rinse. After your shower, take a few moments to lay down with a warm cloth on your face or shoulders and sip on your fruit water!

A little preparation and commitment to setting aside some ‘me time’ will surely benefit your skin and mood. With the winter weather reaping havoc on your skin, and germs being spread everywhere we go, these simple DIY tips will allow you to look good and stay healthy! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: No Navi!

It's been a while...  Life's been pretty hectic around here, finally 3/4 way through my prac, so hopefully I can get more pattern making / stitching sometime...  For now, here's a small pattern inspired by this demotivational poster:

(As always, click for full view)

No Navi!
My No Navi! Pattern!
Until next time, -C

23 before 23: 6 month update!

Back in August I posted about 23 things that I wanted to achieve before I hit 23 next year (read about it here). Since we're at the 6 month mark, I thought an update was in store!



Writing this post and reading over my list I'm realising how much I've got to achieve - school holidays now, time to get busy! So far I've achieved...

12. Spend a day at the beach
Check! Was a gorgeous day and both myself and my boyfriend came back without being completely roasted. Considering how pale we both are, that was a surprise.



19. Find a signature makeup look
It only occurred to me the other day that I'd done this - I <3 my winged liner and bright lip.

20. Read 2 "classic" novels
Done and done!
Clearly I've gotten lazy with my book reviewing, haha. I've since read The Great Gatsby, Little Women and am currently marathoning my way through Anna Karenina.

I've noticed it just seems like I'm not a Jane Austen fan but have enjoyed all of the others that I've re…

Pichu Cross Stitch

My first cross stitch creation, created with KG-Chart LE.  It's a Pichu (from Pokemon), and I'm hoping to continue with this Pokemon theme through other cross stitches.  If I get around to this, I'll post a picture when I'm done =)
Size : 15.6cm x 22.67cm Colours Used (DMC) : 310   (black) 973   (yellow) 3832 (pink)
To save, left click on the image, that'll bring up the full sized picture, right click on it then and select "save picture as".