Skip to main content

Throw-Together Pies

There's one major thing to know about my family - if my Dad is cooking dinner, run away.  Run far away.  He tends to cook like this: "ooooh let's chuck everything I can reach into a pan and fry it up".  He's also known for putting sultanas in every. single. recipe.  (Oh, I mean everything)

When Mum was on a short holiday with her friend, I whipped up dinner, so we (my brother and I) wouldn't have to eat Dad's cooking...

I invented this recipe, in an effort to use up the remaining frozen pastry we had in the freezer (from the apple pies I made a few days prior).



Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup frozen veggies (used the "garden veggies" one, it had peas, corns, capsicum and celery)
  • 500g beef mince
  • 1 carrot
  • 1/2 an onion
  • 3/4 cup gravy
  • Pre-made pie pastry
  • Chilli powder
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180oC
  2. Peel and dice the onion and carrots.  Half cook the frozen veggies according to packet directions.
  3. Fry onion in the pan until soft, then add mince.  Brown the mince, before adding frozen veggies and diced carrot.
  4. Prepare gravy according to directions, and then add to pan.
  5. Grease muffin trays well, and quarter pastry sheets and put them into the muffin trays.
  6. Fill the pastries with 2 tablespoons of mince mixture and a little bit of gravy.  Fold extra pastry over the top of the mince mixture to enclose.  Top with a sprinkle of chilli powder.
  7. Cook for 20 minutes, and cool in tin for 5 minutes.
That's my first original recipe, I hope it makes sense!  The amount of gravy might still need to be reduced, I added it in for flavor, and I used a cup and it need to be reduced.

Until next time,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: No Navi!

It's been a while...  Life's been pretty hectic around here, finally 3/4 way through my prac, so hopefully I can get more pattern making / stitching sometime...  For now, here's a small pattern inspired by this demotivational poster:

(As always, click for full view)

No Navi!
My No Navi! Pattern!
Until next time, -C

23 before 23: 6 month update!

Back in August I posted about 23 things that I wanted to achieve before I hit 23 next year (read about it here). Since we're at the 6 month mark, I thought an update was in store!



Writing this post and reading over my list I'm realising how much I've got to achieve - school holidays now, time to get busy! So far I've achieved...

12. Spend a day at the beach
Check! Was a gorgeous day and both myself and my boyfriend came back without being completely roasted. Considering how pale we both are, that was a surprise.



19. Find a signature makeup look
It only occurred to me the other day that I'd done this - I <3 my winged liner and bright lip.

20. Read 2 "classic" novels
Done and done!
Clearly I've gotten lazy with my book reviewing, haha. I've since read The Great Gatsby, Little Women and am currently marathoning my way through Anna Karenina.

I've noticed it just seems like I'm not a Jane Austen fan but have enjoyed all of the others that I've re…

Pichu Cross Stitch

My first cross stitch creation, created with KG-Chart LE.  It's a Pichu (from Pokemon), and I'm hoping to continue with this Pokemon theme through other cross stitches.  If I get around to this, I'll post a picture when I'm done =)
Size : 15.6cm x 22.67cm Colours Used (DMC) : 310   (black) 973   (yellow) 3832 (pink)
To save, left click on the image, that'll bring up the full sized picture, right click on it then and select "save picture as".