Skip to main content

Oh Micky, you're so fine...

One of my cousins is getting married soon (can't wait for the wedding!), so she decided that her hens night was going to be cheerleader-themed.  To that I breathed a sigh of relief, what does one wear to a hens night that isn't themed?

I started by trying to find some inspiration for what to wear - I love waist high skirts, so I wanted to do one of those, but I couldn't find a cheerleader-ry reason to do that.  All of the costumes I found were either really, really slutty, or too short, or even a dress (I didn't want to wear a dress...).  Then, I ran across a photoshoot that Diana Agron did for GQ magazine:

Photo found at: famewatcher.com
Of course, I love this.  It's super cute, while being (...if I lengthened the skirt) reasonably modest.  I have shame, you know.

My idea was originally just to make the skirt, and buy a tank top while I was up there - I figured it would be pretty easy to find a purple or orange top...  In hindsight, even over the post-Christmas sales... Bad idea.  But I'm moving on.

I did my pleat research, I went to Spotlight and bought my purple fabric (I'm loving their bargain bench.  It's still my weakness...), bias binding and other things for my upcoming projects.  Seriously though, pleats are so difficult to do for the first time!  With a lot of stress and general annoyance later (and the decision to only pleat the front of my skirt, so at no point during the night my ass would be exposed...), I decided to wait and ask for help from my aunt while I was on holidays.

Weeks later, I finished my skirt with a lot of help from my aunt.  This, is the finishes result:


That's the back!  You can see it's slightly uneven... 

I felt like a giant blueberry.  Or whatever the appropriate purple fruit is. A mulberry?  Either way, it's not a part of this story.  But what is, is one of my cousins then decided to tell me I was working with the colours of the Melbourne Storm team...  Ah well.

So the next day, I went back to my aunt's, we went to Spotlight (not my usual one), and found the perfect fabric!  and contrasting yellow fabric!  (yes, even after being informed that I was using the colours of a football (it is a football team, right?) team I still wanted to use it)  All in all, I've sewn with stretch for the first time (and look forward to doing it again), and produced the following uniform, which I'm super proud of.

My top!

That's my full costume!  Must learn to get someone to take my sewing photos more often...  Yes, I'm raising my arms in that photo, just to be clear, hehe.

As always, until next time,



PS: I totally want to update these photos sometime, my camera is ...let's go with not playing nicely much any more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: No Navi!

It's been a while...  Life's been pretty hectic around here, finally 3/4 way through my prac, so hopefully I can get more pattern making / stitching sometime...  For now, here's a small pattern inspired by this demotivational poster:

(As always, click for full view)

No Navi!
My No Navi! Pattern!
Until next time, -C

23 before 23: 6 month update!

Back in August I posted about 23 things that I wanted to achieve before I hit 23 next year (read about it here). Since we're at the 6 month mark, I thought an update was in store!



Writing this post and reading over my list I'm realising how much I've got to achieve - school holidays now, time to get busy! So far I've achieved...

12. Spend a day at the beach
Check! Was a gorgeous day and both myself and my boyfriend came back without being completely roasted. Considering how pale we both are, that was a surprise.



19. Find a signature makeup look
It only occurred to me the other day that I'd done this - I <3 my winged liner and bright lip.

20. Read 2 "classic" novels
Done and done!
Clearly I've gotten lazy with my book reviewing, haha. I've since read The Great Gatsby, Little Women and am currently marathoning my way through Anna Karenina.

I've noticed it just seems like I'm not a Jane Austen fan but have enjoyed all of the others that I've re…

Pichu Cross Stitch

My first cross stitch creation, created with KG-Chart LE.  It's a Pichu (from Pokemon), and I'm hoping to continue with this Pokemon theme through other cross stitches.  If I get around to this, I'll post a picture when I'm done =)
Size : 15.6cm x 22.67cm Colours Used (DMC) : 310   (black) 973   (yellow) 3832 (pink)
To save, left click on the image, that'll bring up the full sized picture, right click on it then and select "save picture as".